CREATIVE SOLUTIONS FOR A TIGHT SPACE
The Challenge: Create an open concept contemporary design in a 13 ft wide urban semi-detached home.
The challenge for this small semi-detached home was to create a spacious feel and maximize closet and storage space. this bright, 3 bedroom, 2 bath home underwent a back-to-the-bricks renovation, resulting in a contemporary home with clean lines, and an open floor plan – ideal for entertaining.
Structural: Remove interior walls in the main floor living area to maximize open space and allow light in.
Stairs: The narrow staircase was transformed with:
- Custom open riser stairs
- Skylight installed to illuminate the stair area
- Replaced the conventional handrails and pickets with glass partitions.
- Custom handrails and narrow brackets provided an additional 3″ to the narrow stair width.
- A vaulted cathedral ceiling was built, resulting in a more spacious feel. Custom closets were built into the niche, providing efficient storage without sacrificing any usable floor space.
- A built-in TV niche feature was added, allowing a TV to be installed without reducing space.
Closets: Additional bedroom custom closets were built to maximize space.
Bathroom: Space-saving design with slim profile vanity, wall-mounted toilet, and retractable shower glass.
During the renovation, the family learned that they were going to have another child and decided to sell the home. It sold within a week for 37% over asking price in November, 2019!
Additional Key Features
- Open concept main floor design
- Main and upper floor walk-outs to cedar decks
- 8’ high closet doors with custom interiors
- Custom kitchen with all features in a 10’ wide space
- Kitchen with ample counter space and breakfast bar
- Warm, wide plank hardwood floors
- Generous dining room for gatherings
- Three great-sized bedrooms
- Master bedroom easily accommodates a king size bed, has soaring vaulted ceilings, custom closets and cabinetry
- Completely finished lower level with built-in entertainment unit, broadloom in the recreation room, a 3-piece bath and laundry area with heated floors